It is hard to rate the importance of the five senses: touch, smell, sight, hearing, and taste. All work together to bring quality of life and enjoyment. For those of us fortunate enough to have all of them our whole lives—these are necessities. To have had these five our entire life—and then to lose one or some of them is debilitating, but often a reality as we age. Sometimes there are things we can do to prevent vision loss as well as just understanding some of the different reasons we may lose our sight is empowering as we go through difficult changes in our aging bodies.
Reasons Why Your Eyes Get Worse With Age
There are numerous reasons our sight can be damaged, impaired, or completely lost. Age-related eye diseases like macular degeneration and cataracts are common causes of blindness or impaired vision. These are most commonly caused naturally, but with early detection, there are some things that can be done to slow the process. This is one reason it is so important to have regular eye exams with your eye doctor or optometrist. Exams and early detection of eye problems like cataracts and glaucoma by your eye doctor in Columbus GA will aid in preventing permanent vision loss.
Healthy Eating Can Help
Another important factor that many don’t consider when preventing eyesight degeneration has to do with eating a balanced and vitamin rich diet. This is prevention that can—and should be—from an early age. Parents should teach children the importance of eating well to protect their eyes. It is not an accident that our eyes see color, because for optimal eye health we are supposed to eat a range of colorful fruits and vegetables. Getting five to nine servings of these a day is recommended by specialists. There are specific benefits to consuming different vegetables and fruits. Dark green or brightly colored fruits and veggies are high in antioxidants which will reduce damage to your eyes by reducing oxidizing agents that are linked to causing age-related eye diseases. Here is a list of easy steps to follow that will allow you to eat a balanced diet which will increase your overall health as well as help to prevent eye degeneration:
- Make sure fats are healthy fats. These will help prevent dry eyes and will give your eyes a health shine.
- Focus on whole grains. Healthy fiber will help you stay full longer which will lessen the unhealthy snack foods you consume. As well, processed white flour and sugars may increase your risk for eye diseases.
- Good proteins. Lean meats, beans, eggs are three good sources. Meats high in fats, or cooking any proteins in large amount so foil or butter increase the unhealthy fat content and actually make the protein not a good choice.
- Nobody needs more sodium. Honestly. Just bank on the fact that you are probably getting more than enough. Most adults have an unhealthy surplus of sodium and should be cutting out more.
- Lastly, drink water. Eye heath depends upon a well-hydrated body. Don’t skimp on watering your eyes.
The Importance of Regular Vision Care
Aside from proper care of your body, another important part of eye health is going to your optometrist in Columbus GA for regular check-ups. Properly wearing and caring for eyeglasses and contacts will help you maintain your eyesight. Especially if you have worn corrective lenses from an early age, it is very important that eyeglasses and contacts are worn regularly—as instructed by your optometrist. If you need new eyeglasses or contacts in Columbus, Georgia, you will want to visit Eyewear Unlimited. At Eyewear Unlimited your will find the leading eye doctors and eyewear specialists. We carry the best discounted eyeglasses and contacts for your entire family’s eye care needs. If you are looking for an optometrist in the Columbus, Georgia area, look no further. At Eyewear unlimited we offer competitive prices and promise excellent quality and service to keep you seeing your best for years to come.